February 16, 2011

V-Day Lowdown....

I should have written this on Valentine's Day (aka SAD - Single's Awareness Day) but I honestly have been the worst blogger ever. My apologies - but hey, as far as I know hardly anyone reads this blog anyway so I doubt anyone was really missing much. :)

Valentine's Day is probably the worst holiday ever in my books. It's a made up Hallmark holiday. Do people in relationships really need 1 day a year to confess how much they love the person they are with? Personally, I feel that you should show your love 365 days a year. Who am I to say anything though - this V-Day as well as all the previous ones I've been basically single. I have never celebrated V-Day. I've never gotten that special card from that special person. I've never gotten flowers from a guy. I've never been wined & dined. My friend once sent me a rose plant, which was totally nice of her but I know it was because she knew I'd be wallowing in my own self-pity. I just loathe this holiday. It's not like us single people need another thing to make us feel slightly crappy about ourselves. So, I must listen all day long about their nice jewelry, gifts, dinners, cards, how much they love one another, blah blah blah. Call me bitter - I don't care. I know without a doubt that God has plans for me - has that special person picked out that will one day make all my loathing of V-Day go away, but until that day I will sit and daydream about a man who will care enough to tell me he loves me not only on V-Day but the other 364 days, too.

So my V-Day (aka SAD) was not as horrible as years past. I attend a bible study on Monday nights so we ended up going out to dinner. Needless to say - most everyone in the group has recently coupled up. Luckily my guy friend (who is single also) stated that he'd like to go so I wasn't the only single person there with a bunch of couples! Two other single people showed up towards the end of dinner. It worked out perfectly too, because I've been trying to get this guy friend more involved in church and I knew that he would fit in with my friends. We ate dinner at Smokey Bones (but as soon as I got there I headed to the bar for my 'I hate V-Day' drink --- a Bahama Mama). After dinner, some of us decided to go to a bar for drinks (more for me, please) and pool. It was a blast - and definately what I needed to get me out of my funk. I'm so thankful for my friends.

No comments: